Press Release 8/12/17
Alert: Red Flag Warning until 11:00PM Saturday
...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS TODAY... A shortwave disturbance will produce scattered thunderstorms over portions of central Washington this morning. The threat of thunderstorms will then shift into the Idaho Panhandle this afternoon. Thunderstorms will contain little rainfall this morning, but will become wetter in the afternoon. ...RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 11 PM PDT THIS EVENING FOR SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS AND DRY CONDITIONS FOR NORTHERN AND CENTRAL IDAHO PANHANDLE... The National Weather Service in Spokane has issued a Red Flag Warning for thunderstorms...which is in effect from 2 PM this afternoon to 11 PM PDT this evening.
* Affected Area: Fire Weather Zone 101 Northern and Central Idaho Panhandle (Zone 101).
* Thunderstorms: Isolated thunderstorms in the early afternoon ...becoming scattered by late afternoon and evening.
* Winds: Southwest 5 to 10 mph. Some gusty outflow winds are possible from nearb y thunderstorms.
* Outflow Winds: Locally 20 to 30 mph.
* Impacts: Combined with very dry fuels...these conditions could result in new fire starts.
* AFFECTED AREAS: IDAHO PALOUSE
Instructions: A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now....or will shortly. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.